Through innovative policies and practices — such as citizen science, project-based learning, and service learning — demonstrate how connecting people of all ages to nature, coupled with effective educational approaches, can help build a lifelong stewardship ethic.
Here's a sample of the feedback from the global community:
- "This action should be more inclusive than age. Universal access should include equitable access to nature and EE regardless of geographic location (e.g. rural vs. urban), cognitive and physical ability, socioeconomic status, car ownership / access to public transportation, and all the other markers (e.g. race, sex, sexual orientation)."
- "We must focus more on including environmental education in teacher training in primary, secondary and tertiary education to instigate change in the education system."
- "Work with legislators to help them recognize the benefits of citizen science and EE."
- "We should make environmental literacy a requirement for graduating from secondary school."
- "Increase access. Advocate for making EE resources widely and freely available; funding EE in under-resourced schools, communities, and nations; engaging in research that addresses EE access; and supporting approaches to EE that can be used or adapted in diverse settings."
- "Mandate EE in formal schooling. Continue to demonstrate the multidisciplinary nature of EE and its connections to student academic success to policymakers and influencers to advocate for support for EE inclusion as a tool for student success."
- "Provide age-appropriate ways for young children to experience nature and connect to their local environment."
- "Identify and share successful cases where EE has been mandated at the state/province and/or country level, and has resulted in a more environmentally literate citizenry."
- "Create buy-in. Build relationships with policymakers, corporations, influential individuals, and funders to develop multi-sector support for EE, and cultivate potential funding opportunities."
- "Countries should start lifting the visibility and importance of EE, perhaps make it mandatory in schools. If climate change is the biggest problem we are facing in the 21st century, everyone should learn about it!"
- "We need to demonstrate the impact of EE and how EE addresses the sustainable development goals to achieve universal access."
- "Expand policies that mandate environmental education and experiences in nature throughout formal and nonformal education. Promote each other's programs; link environmental education with outdoor exploration so that young people development the knowledges, skills, and motivation to help protect the environment and create a more sustainable future."
- "Figure out how to link technology to environmental education and nature exploration. Technology is not going away, so what are strategies to combine efforts?"